Tuesday, December 8, 2009

An "Abundance Swap" - What a great idea!

I don't know if any of my friends would want to do this, but I think it is a great idea! It's called an "Abundance Swap" and the premise is simple:

Just find 3-10 quality items in your home, shop or office that someone would enjoy as a gift... fun, useful, interesting or beautiful items, new or in really good shape that aren't important to you anymore. "Quality" doesn't mean "expensive." It means well-made, worthwhile, likely to be valued. Price doesn't matter. The gifts should be unwrapped items that someone would enjoy.

Abundance Swaps have been gaining momentum across the nation as citizens become more conscious that 25% of America's waste is produced between Thanksgiving and New Years alone. Not to mention the extra financial burden most Americans undergo struggling to make ends meet. As shoppers learn to tighten their belts unlike ever before many are beginning to realize the value of "repurposing" unwanted items sitting forgotten in their closet corners.



I heard about this in this article from YubaNet.com. This swap has been an annual event for seven years now in Nevada City - which I am nowhere near. But I wonder if I could set something up like this for next year.

I found this article which explains how to set one up: How to host an eco-friendly abundance swap It feels too late for this year - I simply do not have the energy, but I'm going to think about trying this next year for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment